As you may know, I am in the midst of writing a memoir regarding how my many and/or severe illnesses affected my life. As part of my research, I have been reading them as well to get an idea of the kinds that are selling and have sold.
To date I have read the following:
- Dying to Be Me by Anita Moorjani
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
- Free Spirit by Joshua Safran
- Smash Cut by Brad Gooch
From my local library, I requested
Out of all the ones I have read, only Dying to Be Me is a memoir written around an illness and how it affected the author’s life.
From my readers, I would like to hear from you on any of the following:
- Your recommendations on medical/illness memoirs;
- Your recommendations for the last memoir you read and why you liked it;
- Your suggestions for things you’d want me to cover in writing my medical memoir.