One morning when I was writing my morning pages, I realized that I was writing an idea for a self-help book that had been bouncing around in my mind for some time.
That would make Book idea #3 just this year alone, along with an idea for a short story. Today I had another idea for a premise of a dystopian society short story. I then realized: I have a problem.
A writing problem. Now that I have declared myself a writing and not doing enough of it, the universe is soft-balling me ideas. The problem is that I am not progress on the ideas I have, let alone make time for the new one.
Took me a few days to get back to it. This morning I typed out an idea that was part of the self-help book into Scrivener so I can start a file. I have no excuse now. I have plenty of choices of stories to work on. I just need to work on them.
Failing that, I need to create Writers Anonymous for poor souls like me whose writing ideas outstrip the the pace of their writing. Our meetings would start small in a circle of chairs that face each other. Someone would stand up and read:
THE Twelve STEPS OF Writers ANONYMOUS
- We admitted that we were powerless over our writing—that managing our writing ideas has gotten out of control.
- Came to believe that a Writer greater than ourselves could restore our plots to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our story ideas over to the care of a damn good Editor as recommended by our Agent.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our Characters, their Flaws, and how it might bring them to the falling action.
- Listen to another Writer, to ourselves, and to an Editor the problems of our Plot.
- Were ready to have our Editor remove all these defects of Characters and Plot.
- Humbly asked our Editor to remove these defects and return our manuscript to us.
- Painstakingly went through the Manuscript and incorporated all Changes noted by our Editor.
- Continued to make Edits as required by our Story and not our Egos.
- Continued to make as many as Revisions as needed to create a solid final Draft for Publication.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our sales numbers, hustling and marketing our Books to our target Audience.
- Having had a completed Book as the result of these Steps, we pick a new Writing project and start the process all over again at step #1.